Equal Opportunities Officer
The Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Villingen-Schwenningen (DHBW VS) recognises its obligation to ensure that legislation supporting equal opportunities is respected. Our objective is to ensure that the university is represented as an equally attractive and safe institution for female students, academic colleagues and professors.
The duties of equal opportunities officers emanate from § 4 of the State Tertiary Education Act (Landeshochschulgesetz - LHG), and their primary aim in this respect is to prevent women from suffering any discrimination at the university. Moreover, the objective is also to improve the individual situation of women in a social, organisational and personnel sense. The Equal Opportunities Officer also ensures that the interests of women are appropriately represented when fulfilling tasks and duties at the university.
She is an advisory member of both the University Council and Academic Senate. The Equal Opportunities Officer is involved in appeals procedures and the compilation, implementation and updating of the local equal opportunities plan, a component part of the local university structural and development plan.
Individually speaking, the duties of the Equal Opportunities Officer are as follows:
- She is involved in appeals and staffing appointment procedures
- She participates as an advisory member in meetings of bodies of the Cooperative State University
- She is involved in the development of gender networks
- She offers advice and support in questions relating to personal career planning/ the advancement of female up-and-coming academic talent
- She advises students and academic personnel in all cases of sexual harassment, violence and mobbing
- She contributes to ensuring that studies are as family friendly as possible
- She works on women’s projects for this purpose and with decision makers on a regional and interregional level