Leisure and cultural activities
The Baar and Black Forest - contrasts really merge in the Schwarzwald-Baar District. The Baar with its broad expanses, where farmland and meadows shape the landscape - the Black Forest with its wooded heights and deeply carved valleys. Attractive low mountain ranges offer ideal conditions for a variety of sporting activities. A large area of the district forms part of the Southern Black Forest Nature Park.
Villingen-Schwenningen is the ideal starting point for appealing outings to destinations in the region where Germany, Switzerland, France and Austria meet. Students who are not familiar with Southwest Germany should not miss the opportunity to discover a few highlights during their studies.
- The princely residence town of Donaueschingen with its palace and the source of the Danube
- The Wutachschlucht gorge, a geomorphological phenomenon
- The Hohentwiel - an important location in summer for major open-air concerts
- The tallest waterfalls in Germany in Triberg im Schwarzwald
- The most beautiful railway museum in Germany (Sauschwänzlebahn)
- Lake Constance with the garden island of Mainau
- The Rhine Falls in Schaffhausen
- The Feldberg - an ideal location for walking tours in summer and skiing in winter
- The idyllic Black Forest lakes - Kirnbergsee - Titisee - Schluchsee
- The cities of Freiburg, Konstanz, Zurich or Basel