Central Departments

Student Union

Studierendenwerk Freiburg

The Studierendenwerk Freiburg student union can provide you with support during your studies in cooperation with the Cooperative State University. Information can be obtained directly here on accommodation, tuition fees, insurance or the menu in the refectory (Mensa) and cafeteria. Please go to the Studierendenwerk Freiburg website for other services and detailed information. Moreover, in addition to free events at the DHBW VS, you can also avail of services offered by the Studentenwerk Freiburg. The Studentenwerk holds a few seminars in Villingen-Schwenningen in cooperation with the DHBW VS so that you need not travel to Freiburg for this purpose. All information relating to these events can be found here.

Psychotherapeutic counselling for students

Anybody experiencing problems during their studies, examination stress, difficulties with house or roommates or struggling with private problems can turn to our qualified psychologist, Ulrike Timm, or our qualified social pedagogue, Susanne Rettinger, who have assumed responsibility for psychotherapeutic counselling in Schwenningen on behalf of the student union.

Open consultation hours without prior appointment during lectures: Mon. 11.30 a.m. – 1.30 p.m. in Bürkstrasse 1 (1st floor, Room 103)  or, following prior notification: telephone 0151 - 10 93 16 84 (Ulrike Timm) or 0179 - 1 95 72 28 (Susanne Rettinger).

Psychotherapeutic counselling courses and seminars
A love of learning, success in exams, perfect presentations of assignments - it is possible to enjoy your studies. One only has to know how. Seminars for psychotherapeutic counselling indicate that success during studies can be learnt. These seminars include time management and rhetoric, with tricks and tips on how to do essays and study assignments, speech exercises and techniques which help to diminish anxieties relating to examinations.

Students at the University of Furtwangen and the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Villingen-Schwenningen can participate in these courses and seminars held in Freiburg.
Information on all courses and seminars in Furtwangen, Villingen-Schwenningen and Freiburg: Link

Social counselling

The Studierendenwerk Freiburg social counsellor provides regular on-campus advice during lectures for students at the University of Furtwangen and the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University which addresses their social, personal or economic concerns.
Dates for social counselling in VS-Schwenningen during 2015/2016 can be found here.

Counselling takes place in the Mensa office.

Karl-Heinz Hermle
Studentenwerk Freiburg
Schreiberstrasse 12-16
79098 Freiburg
Telephone 07 61 / 21 01 - 2 33
(Mon. - Thurs. 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 noon and 1.30 p.m. - 3.30 p.m., Fri. 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 noon)
Fax 07 61 / 21 01 - 52 33

Study funding advice on the campus

BAföG, education loan, study loans, student fee loans - does anybody really have an overview of all this? It is imperative that advice is obtained here before applying for a loan, because the different offers available are not exactly clear.

Anita Hegi, who with her colleague Claudia Heinemann is responsible for study funding advice at the Studentenwerk Freiburg, offers regular personal consultations in VS-Schwenningen to address this issue.

Dates for study funding advice in Schwenningen in 2011/2012 can be found here.

Counselling takes place in the Mensa office.

Anita Hegi
Studentenwerk Freiburg
Schreiberstrasse 12-16
79098 Freiburg
Telephone 07 61 / 21 01 - 2 45


Statutory Accident Insurance

Students are covered by statutory accident insurance (Gesetzliche Unfallversicherung) pursuant to the German Social Security Code (Sozialgesetzbuch – SGB VII). A prerequisite is that the student is enrolled in an officially recognised university, or the candidate is a graduate or post-graduate student. Insurance cover is non-contributory. Costs are borne by the state.
Insurance cover is extended during attendance of lectures and seminars, other activities for which the university is responsible (participation in tutorials and excursions), when visiting university and public libraries, during general university sports, during activities in the student self-administration organisation and when travelling to these activities. In addition, the journey taken for enrolment is also insured.
Accidents which occur on the university campus or on the direct journey between the place of residence and the university should be reported to the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University (Michaela Gaß, tel. 07720 3906-109).

Privat accident insurance

As numerous accidents are not covered by statutory accident insurance, the Studentenwerk Freiburg has concluded an additional private accident insurance policy (Freizeitunfallversicherung) for all students of those universities allocated to it. This insurance covers the complete private or leisure time outside the university, both domestically and abroad. Cover also extends to all holiday travel, work placements and graduate student activities at foreign universities and research institutions.
The contact person in this respect is the social counsellor at the Studentenwerk Freiburg student union.

Liability insurance

Payment of social contributions means that all students enrolled at the University of Furtwangen and the Cooperative State University are covered by liability insurance. This applies to activities with a substantial relationship to studies and which occur on the premises of the universities or during events stipulated in the curriculum. Cover is a flat rate of €2,000,000 in the case of injury and damage, €5,000 for each case of damage in the case of handling and supervision damage and €50,000 for financial loss. Insurance cover does not extend to damages lower than €25.00.

Liability insurance also covers prescribed work placements, workplace training terms/semesters, academic terms/semesters abroad, etc.
Liability insurance cover also extends to participation in work placements, workplace training terms/semesters, etc. which are prescribed or serve the achievement of the academic goal.
Enrolled students who wish to complete a work placement, workplace training term/semester or an academic term/semester abroad can apply for a certificate confirming insurance cover which sometimes needs to be presented to companies or universities. Simply send the following information by e-mail to Mr Hermle: First name and surname / Date of birth / Home address / Location where the work placement, workplace training term/semester or an academic term/semester is to be completed / Precise designation of the company/institution / Exact duration of work placement, workplace training term/semester or an academic term/semester (from - to).
No insurance cover is extended to work placements realised on students’ own initiative. In the case of work placements in the USA or Canada, additional liability insurance can be concluded by Mr Hermle. The premium is €65.45.
The contact person in this respect is the social counsellor at the Studentenwerk Freiburg student union.

Bicycle and cloakroom insurance
Payment of social contributions means that insurance cover also exists in the event of the theft or damage of bicycles or theft on the university campus.
Insurance cover is extended to items of clothing, articles of daily use (e.g. spectacles, umbrellas, crash helmets, etc.) or learning materials (e.g. books, writing and drawing utensils, pocket calculators, laptops, information managers/digital assistants) stolen during attendance at university events. Cover is only extended if the objects were placed in the storage locations intended for them. Articles of daily use do not include objects which remain permanently in the university. Cover is €250.
Insurance cover exists for bicycles and their accessories in the event of damage, destruction or loss - but only on the university campus and during the university opening hours. Bicycles must be locked correctly. Residents of halls of residence have bicycle insurance cover for bicycles which are kept in the facility intended for this purpose on the premises of the halls of residence and are locked correctly. Cover is €500.
Caution: Where a bicycle basement is provided in halls of residence, bicycles must be stored there and locked correctly.
The contact person in this respect is the social counsellor at the Studentenwerk Freiburg student union.

Further information on insurance cover can be found on the website of the Studentenwerk Freiburg under "Insurances".


A total of 29 rooms are provided for students of the Cooperative State University and the University of Furtwangen (Schwenningen campus) in VS-Schwenningen on the School of Social Work campus at Schramberger Strasse 26. The rooms have an area of approx.12.9 m², and the monthly rent is €185.00 plus a deposit which is due with the first rent payment. Please note that rental agreements can generally only be concluded for a minimum period of 6 months (1 term/semester), and a maximum period is limited to 6 terms/semesters. A shorter contractual period (monthly rental) is, unfortunately, not possible.

The contact person for the allocation of rooms is:
Birgit Tabor
Tel. 07720 99322 - 45
Application: Halls of residence application

The Studentenwerk Freiburg also runs a private accommodation agency. Online private accommodation agency. Have you any questions concerning the organisation of private accommodation? Then please contact Ms Tabor.